Whilst it’s snowing this week, picture yourself sitting in a beachside restaurant gazing out into the Mediterranean sea, with sounds of the waves lapping around you whilst you wait for your lunch. Well we can dream, and you’ll certainly imagine yourself there with this plate of Crispy Squid Rings with a Sweet Chilli and Garlic Mayonnaise. Just close your eyes!
(As cooked by our Level 2 Professional Cookery students)
- 700g sliced squid or baby squid
- 50g well-seasoned plain flour
- Vegetable oil
For the Sauce:
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Crème Fraiche
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- a few thyme leaves, torn
- 1/2 crushed garlic clove
- In a bowl, mix together 2 tbsp mayonnaise, 2 tsp Crème Fraiche, 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce, 1/2 crushed garlic glove and the torn thyme leaves. Mix well and taste! Add more sweet chilli or garlic if you prefer.
- Fill a deep pan two-thirds full of vegetable oil and set over a medium heat until it reaches 180°C. A good way to test this is by popping in a piece of bread; if it browns quickly it’s hot enough!
- Toss the squid in the flour, then add batches of squid to the hot oil using tongs. Fry for 2-3 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Place on kitchen paper to drain, scatter with sea salt flakes, then keep warm until all the squid has been cooked.
- Serve with a salad garnish, the sweet chilli and garlic mayonnaise and enjoy!